90s UK DIY part 2

I was trying to track down my favorite Skinned Teen song when I did the initial UK post – no luck. It turns out the record was sitting a few feet away in my girlfriend's collection the whole time, hehe. I'm not sure if this was its first appearance or not, but regardless..



Skinned Teen "Nancy Drew" (from Battle Of The Bands 7" compilation, 1998)

While digging through her records I also found the Heavenly P.U.N.K. Girl 10", which is one of only a handful of records I regret getting rid of. Back in the mid-90s, nearly everyone I knew owned this and it stuck out like a sore thumb amongst all their punk/hardcore/grind records. I didn't realize until now that this isn't a proper EP - just two singles combined for the US market.



Heavenly "P.U.N.K. Girl" (from P.U.N.K. Girl 10", 1993)


I also found the Slampt 4 Track, 4 Track comp, featuring four bands, all recorded on 4-track machines.



Delicate Vomit "Mr. Potatohead" (from 4 Track - 4 Track 7" compilation, 1997)

Speaking of Slampt, the label was run by Pete and Rachel from Avocado Baby, Pussycat Trash and, later, Red Monkey. What I said about Huggybear missing out on the early 00s revisiting angular, rhythmic punk can be said for Red Monkey as well, though in RM's case that sound became popular again right when they were near the end of their run.



Red Monkey "18+" (from Do What You Feel [Feel What You Do] 7", 1997)



Red Monkey "Weight Of Should" (from The Time Is Right 7", 1998)

A few years before Slampt and Red Monkey dissolved, my band at that time opened for RM on one of their US tour stops. They were really amped about the Petty Crime EP they'd released and I think everyone I was with left with a copy. Petty Crime was Layla from Skinned Teen's band, along with Peter Rojas, who recently started RCRD LBL. It's still one of my favorite EPs of the 90s.



Petty Crime "Mathematics"
Petty Crime "Closed Eyes" (both from s/t EP, 1998)

Nowadays, Layla is playing in the San Francisco band Modern Reveries, who sound pretty great and have a demo cd-r available via their myspace.

Around the time of that Red Monkey tour, Troubleman Unlimited and Slampt released a joint compilation of underground bands from the UK and USA, and I picked that one up at the show as well.

Sally Skull "Heaven" (from Taking A Chance On Chances compilation Lp, 1998)

Obviously there are a lot of bands I missed here so I'll probably do additional parts at some point. I might start doing a 70s / 80s version too, so watch for that.

No comments: